Our client is a leading hypermarket chain; its core business is to establish & manage hypermarkets in Dubai. Its management is keen to review its current business model and implement a new strategy including Vision, Mission, Values and Strategic Objectives, aligned with the growth of the business. Cedar has a good understanding of the client based on its previous engagements in the areas of Business Strategy & BSC, IT Strategy, Implementation Assistance & Vendor Evaluation. The client had thus requested Cedar’s assistance in this regard.
The primary objective of the program was to assist the client in reviewing its current business model & in developing a way forward growth strategy & an execution plan.
- A market & competitive assessment was first conducted by Cedar, which involved- assessment of the retail market in UAE, understanding of the competitive environment & key players, recent & emerging trends in hypermarkets
- An internal assessment of the client was then conducted which entailed a multi-dimensional analysis of the client’s financials, location & product categories, processes and organisation & IT systems
- This was followed by reviewing the client’s vision, mission, values & strategy
- Further, a detailed SWOT analysis was conducted
- Finally, a way forward strategy plan was synthesized. Focus was drawn towards the client’s business process & IT infrastructures
- Based on this overall operating model, KRAs, KPIs & Skills were outlined & a high level implementation plan was developed
The following were the key recommendations rolled out to the client by Cedar:
- Adding new Special Projects Department to facilitate high level special projects by the client
- Formalising the strategic planning function, which ensured separation of this function from the MIS & admin
- Selectively developing category management roles with different IPMs, strategic incentives & growth of the category as a primary objective
- Implementing category management & space management applications to facilitate a data driven assortment strategy in order to improve efficiencies
- Implementing real time store inventory management across all branches, with its roll out capability being at high priority