Our client is a leading Japanese DSL broadband and mobile operator. The client along with Cedar has determined on a preliminary basis that there may be a significant opportunity in the Indian broadband opportunity that could include a partnership/acquisition of an Indian broadband operator. They have requested Cedar for a detailed assessment of the India opportunity, and the development on an India entry strategy, and potential follow-on assistance.
The primary objective is to assess the India broadband opportunity, develop a successful entry strategy and then potentially assist in completing the transaction.
- An overall market assessment was conducted by Cedar about the global telecom market, Indian macro & demand drivers, a regulatory overview in this geography with a glance at the internet market in India.
- The Indian broadband market was further analysed, to understand & compare various broadband technologies, projected demand in the forthcoming years & average revenue per users over the years for mobile, wireline & broadband.
- In addition to the above, various sects of this market such as the DSL market, cable market & mobile broadband market were analysed & compared.
- A competitive assessment was drawn out with all the major players in the market.
- An Indian market penetration strategy that involved an aggressive plan of action & adoption of a joint-venture model, in order to grow quickly
- Alternatives to mode of entry in the market were suggested, with a suggestion towards developing a joint venture partnership with an existing DSL broadband player or network
- Two private DSL broadband players for partnership were suggested to the client which were positive towards developing a partnership with the client
- A high level positioning plan was developed mainly catering to premium residential customers in top cities offering high service quality
- Cedar, thus estimated that with end-to-end implementation of these strategies- the overall opportunity for client was that, it could become a $1 Billion India player in 3 years with the appropriate joint ventures and investment.